After the brief stop of the Central. Asiatic Expeditions at the Eren Basin, Andrews took the team further north to Mongolia. In mid-June of 1922, they arrived a place near Shabarakh-usu situated 90 kilometers northwest of Dalan-Dzadagad ( means 40 springs in Mongolian ) , the capital of the Southern Gobi Province in Mongolia.When the sun came closer to horizon, it looked as the rocks and sand were on site. This is why they called this place the Flaming Cliffs, the very first American name given to a Mongolian place.It has been known for Mongols as Shabarakh-Usu.On the other hand, Russian paleontologists refer this place to name Bayn-Dzak.Finally, the Flaming Cliffs turned out to be the most abundant fossil site discovered by the Central Asiatic Expeditions.
The rocks exposed at the ; Shabarakh-Usu were named by geologists as the Djadokhta Formation. The Polish expert on stratigraphy, Tom Jerzykiewicz studied the Djadokhta Formation and made first lithological description of the formation built by poorly cemented reddish brown and fine-grained eolian sandstone. The Djadokhta redbeds appear to take deposition under semiarid, alluvial – to eolian conditions.These redbeds may also occur at Bayan Mandahu in the Inner Mongolia. It has been proposed that when the Djadokhta Formation was deposited 80 million years ago, Central Asia had become very arid environment. Vast fields of sand dunes were intermingled with ponds, around which the life flourished in the Mesozoic Gobi.